EDUCATION: Marshall University Bachelor Degree 1988; Insurance Schools of WV; Allstate LRN; 58 CEU credits for WV State Licensing; Certified in Web Page Development; Huntington East High.
CURRENT OCCUPATION: Business Owner (Johnson Photo Plus, Johnson Allstate Insurance, I&L Properties, LLC)
CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS: Lewis Memorial Baptist Church, Mayor Wolfe's "Don't Horse Around with Drugs", Cabell Midland HS Athletic Boosters, Sherwood Estates Homeowners' Association, (President 7 years), Southside Neighborhood Association.
FAMILY: Wife of 24 years, Linda Fowler Johnson, Teacher at Milton Middle School; Daughter, Ashley (20), Junior at Liberty University; Son, Nicholas (19), Freshman at Marshall University.
I have operated Johnson Photo Plus in Cabell County for over 25 years. In April 2012 my family accepted an offer to sell JPP to a national company. This allows me to be 100% committed and focused on this full time position. I look forward to this opportunity and will lead by example in work ethic and attitude.
- 50 WORDS OR LESS: What special qualities or traits would make you a good assessor?
- 25+ years of management--qualified to oversee the staff of nearly 30 employees. 12+ years owner/manager investment properties. 5+ years licensed insurance agent--certified in property assessment. 25+ years dealing with the public in business situations—possess communication skills needed to connect with citizens from various backgrounds.
- 50 WORDS OR LESS: What changes would you make in the assessor’s office?
- The office is to be commended for managing and maintaining its website. We must continue improving the website and make investments in staff training as technology advances. Many times implemented technology can save time, effort, and money. Every organization has room for improvement; the key component to this is leadership.
- 50 WORDS OR LESS: What would you do to ensure assessments are done equally, fairly and on time?
- The office monitors 50,650 real property accounts and 26,117 personal property accounts. Assessments of these accounts will continue to be done by highly trained reappraisal employees at least every three years. We will work closely with the state tax commissioner to ensure all state guidelines are followed equally and fairly.